History


St Joseph’s School Blackall is a small country school within the Rockhampton Catholic Education Diocese, located approximately 8 hours inland from Rockhampton, having provided quality Catholic Education to children and their families throughout the district since 1917.

St Joseph’s was founded by the Sisters of St Joseph, the pioneers of Christian education in all outback places and its establishment, along with that of the convent was due to the great work of Rev. Father Masterson. 

At the blessing and opening of the buildings in 1917 by Archbishop Duhig, the opening of the new St Joseph’s School was considered an event of historic importance.   The school was described as a beautiful two-storied building with Infant’s school underneath with ample playroom being provided under the 12 foot balcony which ran around the four sides.  It’s field of seven acres was said to give opportunity for the pupils for tennis, cricket and football. The senior school provided by a moveable partition permitted the holding of dances, and euchre (card game) parties.

The school building on the first day of school in 1917 accommodated 106 children .

Bishop Duhig went on to describe the convent, as an unpretentious building, nothing very grand, nothing very attractive from its outward appearance but was considered a very comfortable little home, solidly built that would serve the Sisters and boarders who wish to come here.  According to records there were few places in the west that offered Catholic Boarding Schools and this boarding house in Blackall was to serve the west to Windorah and out from Longreach to Winton.

In 1969, due to the fruitful pastorate of Father Collins and Father Cullinane, a new classroom was built.  The classroom was blessed and opened by Bishop Rush and was considered a classroom that had been built with great care, imagination and elegance.

 

ST JOSEPH'S CATHOLIC PRIMARY SCHOOL
109 Thistle Street, Blackall  Q  4472
Email: sjbl@rok.catholic.edu.au
Phone: 07 4657 4248   |    Fax: 07 4657 4807
  © Copyright St Joseph's Catholic Primary School
Website by School Site Solutions